Sunday 25 January 2015

Making clay pots for glaze and slip tests

I have decided to work in earthenware clay for my project as, when fired, it has a lovely deep terracotta red colour - ideal if I want to show the contrast between death and beauty in revolutionary France.  

My main idea is to show this contrast, perhaps through making portraits in clay or adding red colours to the inside of beautifully-shaped pots or vases that have ornamental or decorative designs on the outside.

I tried throwing and hand moulding a few pots, to which I added various colours of slip (such as blue or green) and then carving various patterns in using a needle (sgraffito technique).  Once bisque fired, I applied either clear or honey glaze, specifically for earthenware pieces.  Below are some photographs of the process.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment