Thursday 20 February 2014

- Patterns: Mandalas -

Firstly, here is the link to my mandala album I have started on Pinterest:

http://www.pinterest.com/hanamintz/mandalas/
I will be constantly adding Pins of mandalas I find that appeal to me, as well as writing short descriptions about what I think they show, or simply about their detailing.





Here is the definition of a mandala, according to www.mandalaproject.org.uk:


"The word 'mandala' is from the classical Indian language of Sanskrit. Loosely translated to mean 'circle', a mandala is far more than a simple shape. It represents wholeness, and can be seen as a model for the organizational structure of life itself - a cosmic diagram that reminds us of our relation to the infinite, the world that extends both beyond and within our bodies and minds.
Describing both material and non-material realities, the mandala appears in all aspects of life: the celestial circles we call earth, sun, and moon, as well as conceptual circles of friends, family, and community."

I am fascinated by the intricacy of mandalas, as well as their possible individual meanings. Mostly,  I love how detailed each layer is; some can be small and others large, but all usually contain a level of detail that is extraordinary.

Aims:
  • Draw a few mandalas, both small and large.
  • Try to incorporate different patterns and detail into each layer of the 'circles'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment