Sunday 20 April 2014

Afghan Girl - drawing progress.

I decided to draw an A3-sized portrait of "Afghan Girl", the famous portrait photograph taken by Steve McCurry.  I do believe this subtly links in with the theme of masking; the girl's hair is partly concealed with a headscarf, as is below her head, yet her face is fully exposed.
The main attraction of the photo is, arguably, the girl's eyes - their bright greeny-blue colour contrast with her tanned skin.  I would like to show this contrast in my drawing.

Below are a couple of progress pictures, as well as the current progress.



 
I started by shading in the skin tone with my fingers and a cotton bud, before adding rough areas of dark colouring to the hair and headscarf.  Once I'd added sufficient shading, I started to blend areas together and add bolder lines for the detail followed by more detail.


Here is the current progress of the drawing.  I'd say it is close to finished - however, I would like to add more detail to the face, possibly some darker tones, as well as continue blending the head and neck scarf.  I would also like to add some bolder green colouring to the eyes, after referencing the original photo.  I am very happy with the progress of this drawing so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment